Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Smoky the Cowhorse

Smoky the CowhorseFrom Goodreads:    "Smoky, the Cowhorse" is the story of a horse - from his first hours on the prairie sod to his final years out to pasture. The reader follows the story, from range to ranch to rodeo, through Smoky's eyes. Winner of the 1927 Newberry Medal for children's literature.














My Thoughts:

-    This is the first Newbery Award Winner that I've read this year that I really feel deserved the award.

-    I loved this book. I got SO attached to Smoky. 

-    Smoky had an incredible journey. There were so many ups and downs, and I kept hoping that Clint and Smoky would be reunited. 

-    I admit it, I cried. . . a lot. I finished this on a Saturday morning, and I couldn't stop crying. I cried all through breakfast, and morning chores. My daughter thought I was crazy. My husband just laughed at me. 

-    I don't think this book is for everyone, but it touched my animal loving heart. 

2 comments:

  1. Animal stories always move me emotionally way more than any other kind of story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jenny. I don't know if I could read this one if there is that much crying involved. It depends on why there is crying. Smoky better not die! I'm already feeling sad if he does!!!

    ReplyDelete