Monday, February 12, 2018

Snow White: A Graphic Novel

Snow White: A Graphic NovelGoodreads Synopsis:    Award-winning graphic novelist Matt Phelan delivers a darkly stylized noir Snow White set against the backdrop of Depression-era Manhattan.

The scene: New York City, 1928. The dazzling lights cast shadows that grow ever darker as the glitzy prosperity of the Roaring Twenties screeches to a halt. Enter a cast of familiar characters: a young girl, Samantha White, returning after being sent away by her cruel stepmother, the Queen of the Follies, years earlier; her father, the King of Wall Street, who survives the stock market crash only to suffer a strange and sudden death; seven street urchins, brave protectors for a girl as pure as snow; and a mysterious stock ticker that holds the stepmother in its thrall, churning out ticker tape imprinted with the wicked words "Another . . . More Beautiful . . . KILL." In a moody, cinematic new telling of a beloved fairy tale, extraordinary graphic novelist Matt Phelan captures the essence of classic film noir on the page—and draws a striking distinction between good and evil.

My Thoughts:

-    This book went by SO fast, but I really enjoyed it.

-    There is very little dialogue, but the artist puts a lot into the illustrations. 

-    This is the classic tale, but set in the 1920s. It was awesome. I wish there had been a little bit of a twist to the story.

-    I picked this one up on a whim, and I'm really glad I did. 

4 comments:

  1. I read this book recently and loved it !
    A very good way to lose weight is by boosting the metabolism.
    See how at BestMetabolismBoosters.com

    I followed you on Google +
    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m going to have to check this one out. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually picked this one up at the Orem Library.

      Delete
  3. Even though I'm not a huge graphic novel fan, I kind of what to read it just for the sheer fact that it's set in the 1920s and because I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete